September 28, 2010 § 2 Comments
A while back, Emily at Cupcakes and Cashmere wrote a post about the simple moments in life that make her happy.
That post has stuck with me and thought I’d borrow the idea, especially after a rather trying night with Peter.
He woke up at 1:00 a.m. wanting to sleep in our bed. I told him that it was still night-time and that he could come snuggle with us in the morning. When he persisted (he is relentless) I told him that there wasn’t enough room in the bed for the three of us. He then yelled at my husband: “Go sleep on the couch!” The arguing and good cop/bad cop acting (I’m the good cop, Pete is the bad cop) lasted for 3 hours.
I woke up a little grumpy and tired this morning (yes, I eventually got some sleep from 3:30a.m-6:30a.m.) and tried to remind myself that what happened last night, happened last night. Today is a new day and to get in a happier frame of mind, I thought about some simple things that make me happy:
1. Dancing at weddings.
2. Sipping hot apple cider at the orchard on a crisp autumn day.
3. Watching Peter play with his cousins or other kids his age: playing tag, talking their 3-year old language to each other, and laughing.
4. Preparing a healthy meal that everyone says is delicious.
5. Finding a pair of jeans that are comfortable, stay up where they’re supposed to when I bend over, and look good on me.
6. A satisfyingly sweaty exercise session.
7. Walking in the woods.
8. Partaking in good crusty bread, good cheese, good wine, good olives, and good grapes with good friends.
9. Browsing at flea markets and antique stores and finding interesting old books.
10. Spending time with family and truly appreciating the moment and the people.
What are your favorite simple things?
Updated to add some of my favorite pictures from the woods:
All of the pictures were taken at Garden in Woods, in Framingham, MA